Happy Memorial Day everyone! Eating in moderation everyday can already be challenging and now we have the temptation of warm weather and BBQ’s with family and friends, which makes it even more difficult. Who can resist the temptation of BBQ chicken, cheeseburgers, baked macaroni and cheese, pork and beans and ice cream to top it off? The next thing you know your sitting back with your pants unbuttoned because you just stuffed yourself and can barely breathe. Hmmmm..…sound familiar?
You can still enjoy summer time and all of cookouts and BBQ’s. Let’s face it, that’s what summer is all about. The key to enjoy without over doing it is to prepare. I cannot say it enough. If you don’t plan for success than plan to fail. It comes down to being mindful and understanding that you don’t have to overeat just because the food is there.
I am all about arming yourself with knowledge and understanding what to do to keep you from weight gain troubles. I have listed a few tips that I swear by that will help you feel full by eating less while still allowing yourself to enjoy the summer while remaining healthy. These tips are great not only for the summer but also all year round. Remember living healthier is a lifestyle, which is not seasonal.
- H2O is Your Life-Yes this is first on my list and the most important. Your body cannot tell the difference between feeling hungry vs. being thirsty or even dehydrated. This is one of the main reasons why drinking at least 64 oz of water each day is important. Proper hydration means that your chances of overeating will be decreased. Purchase yourself a water container and keep it with you at all time. Start drinking as soon as you wake up in the morning and drink throughout the day.
- Skip Meals-I think Not- You need a healthy eating plan everyday! Creating a healthy eating habit plan will contribute to your success. Even though you have cookouts and BBQ’s to attend, you still want to eat breakfast and meals throughout the day. Most people tend to skip meals, which in their mind is best so that they can eat more. HMMMM NO!
- Fabulous Fiber- Eating foods rich in fiber will help curb your hunger throughout the day. Try super-sizing your vegetables on your plate. I like to call these freebies! Vegetables are loaded with fiber helping you achieve that full feeling.
- Water Packed Foods: Fruits in moderation are ok people!! Some fruits have natural sugars that are ok for your body to have. Remember we don’t want to deprive our body from foods. Select fruits like: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, and grapefruit, which are loaded with vitamins and minerals for a healthy body and of course fabulous skin!
- Pack in Protein- Chose lean protein foods to be the dominant food on your SMALL plate. Your 50% of your plate shouldn’t be all pasta and bread! Try opting some grilled chicken with a salad.
- Small Plate A Must-The larger the plate the more food. Pretty simple! Keep it small. Even if you want some mac and cheese or pasta salad, you can have it but again moderation! The smaller the plate the less of the bad stuff you will eat. Make sure your plate is balanced with adding salad and protein to it.
- Snack It- Again preparation preparation preparation! Carry healthy snacks with you so that you don’t become so hungry that you eat everything you see. Great snacks to carry are: nuts, pocket protein (my favorite), mini apples, homemade oatmeal and protein bars, frozen grapes, nitrate free turkey jerky.
- Eat slowly- It takes approximately 20 minutes for your stomach to register to your brain that you are full. Don’t gouge! Enjoy your food!
A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVED OUR COUNTRY SO WE COULD ENJOY EVERYDAY THAT WE ARE BLESSED WITH…